Luckily, school is not in session.
Giant Hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) was found last week at Hartley Elementary School in Gresham. This plant is very invasive and very dangerous. The sap of Giant Hogweed makes human skin extremely sensitive to sunlight, so much so that a burn lesion will appear within 15 hours of exposure. The lesions will often develop into scars. Because this plant is a public health hazard and invasive, Giant Hogweed is listed by the Oregon Department of Agriculture as a noxious weed. If you would like to see an example of the lesion do a web search for 'giant hogweed burns', but be warned that the photos are gruesome.
- Raptor Perches
- NRCS Unveils Three Initiatives Aimed to Help Producers
- New look, same great info!
- Pulling in the rain, just pulling in the rain
- Garlic Mustard is Bolting!
- Getting Ready for Garlic Mustard
- 10th Annual Success
- Organic Certification Cost Share Reimbursement Program
- Thank you for making native gardening affordable